Abipov is the fusion of Povidone Iodine Ointment which works as an antiseptic and disinfectant agent. This ointment is used for the treatment of and prevention of bacterial infections that may happen on cuts and wounds. The harmful bacteria and other microbes are killed and accordingly, it prevents and also stops the infection from being spread to other parts of the body. It is a versatile antiseptic that kills and prevents the growth of infection-causing bacteria.
Povidone Iodine Ointment is linked with a class of medications which are called antiseptic and disinfectants.
Povidone Iodine Ointment works by stopping the growth of infection-causing microbes that are responsible for causing the infection. Being a small molecule, it can easily penetrate the microorganisms and it can oxidize the essential proteins, nucleotides, and other fatty acids which ultimately leads to the death of the cell. It is effective against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria which also includes antibiotic-resistant and antiseptic-resistant strains fungus and viruses, and protozoa.
Uses of Povidone Iodine Ointment
Povidone Iodine Ointment is a commonly used medication that works very well to offer an extensive range of benefits like solving various bacterial infections and also preventing them.
- It kills the bacteria and also prevents its further growth so that it doesn’t come back easily.
- This medication prevents various cuts, wounds, and abrasions from getting infected.
- It offers a slow and long-lasting antiseptic effect on the wound where it is applied.
- Their most common uses are seen to prevent and solve the infection in case of minor burns, lacerations, cuts, and abrasions.
- It is also used in treating infections of the lining of the mouth and throat, like gingivitis and also mouth ulcers.
- This medication is also used in case of suture removal and dressing changes.
Side Effects Of Povidone Iodine Ointment
Povidone Iodine Ointment is a very commonly prescribed medicine by the doctors and it is very safe to be used as per the advice of the concerned healthcare expert but still minor side effects may occur which needs their own time to go away. A doctor’s attention should be taken immediately if the following given side effects don’t go away with time.
- Swelling, pain, warmth, redness, oozing, or some other signs of infection
- severe irritation, itching, or burning’s feel at the infection site
Directions For Use
- It is to be used as per the prescription of the doctor and none of its applications should be skipped.
- Use the hands properly before using this medication and also afterward.
- Try to keep the affected area as clean as possible.
- It is for external use only and should be used as per the advice of the doctor concerned.
- It can be applied by soaking it in the cotton ball and then it can be covered with a sterile bandage that will help in its proper working.
- Its usage in pregnancy may be unsafe and therefore proper consultation should be done with a doctor which will guide the individual about it.
- It must be tried to bring down the consumption of alcohol as it can cause excessive dizziness.
- Tell the doctor if the individual is having any allergic reactions to any kind of pharma drug.
- Consult the doctor if the patient is having an overactive thyroid gland.
- Using povidone-iodine solution during breastfeeding may cause the iodine levels to increase which can be passed to the breastmilk and as a result, it should be used with precaution.